Hear what some of our students have to say about us!
St. Hugo band and Vocal Vikings performing “God Bless America” at the Cleveland Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
Why CHOOSE ST. HUGO OF THE HILLS SCHOOL?
We respect the dignity of God’s children and believe all children have a right to a quality education. In addition to the pursuit of academic excellence, a St. Hugo education will begin to prepare children to live and work with others and to view all people with respect.
Distinctive School Highlights
Our students enjoy many advantages by attending St. Hugo School. We proudly offer:
- Small class sizes allowing a connection to each student;
- A mix of traditional and innovative teaching methods including differentiated instruction throughout core subjects and the use of various types of assessments to ensure each student excels;
- A team teaching model, providing collaboration and integration of subject, time flexibility, and a balance in homework and testing schedules;
- A strong foundation in writing skills using the “Writing Process”
- A science curriculum using STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) inquiry-based curricula. Our students experience a practical amount of hands-on, lab-type activities;
- Math curriculum designed to challenge every student to success in mastering algebraic concepts. A curriculum that includes an advanced math class that follows closely with ninth grade algebra curriculum.
- Special subjects including art, music, technology, physical education, library, and Spanish courses;
- A variety of activities including athletic teams for both boys and girls, student council, band, Vocal Vikings, Science Exchange, Model United Nations, Scholastic Olympics and Quiz Bowl teams, Yearbook, scouts and more;
- An before and after school care program available to children in grades K through eight.
- Kindergarten through 2nd grade Christmas Pageant, 6th grade concert and 7/8th grade musical.
- St. Hugo has a variety of organizations and activities to complement the academic work students receive during the day.
- All grades participate in service projects through out the school year to build a spirit of community service within our students.
- St. Hugo graduates are well prepared to continue their education and formation in the high school of their choice.
- Quality Teachers: Our principal, teachers and staff seize opportunities to improve educational experiences. We are committed to continual training and growth. We work collectively to provide resources to advance student success. All of our classroom teachers are credentialed with many holding advanced masters degrees.
- Enhanced Academic Initiatives:
- Kindergarten Readiness class, is an exciting new “bridge” between pre-school and kindergarten. Designed to address BOTH developmental and academic growth, students are well prepared to transfer seamlessly into kindergarten. Students must be 4 years old by September 1.
- Spanish instruction begins in kindergarten and extends through 8th grade. K – 2nd grade has a conversation/physical activity focus. Grades 4 -8 add more formal instruction in grammar, writing, conversational practice. We offer an early morning, extra class for native/fluent speakers.
- Dedicated Reading Specialists allows us to lower the student/teacher ratio at key literacy instruction times — ensuring that ALL of our students will be top reader. The specialist also provides support to staff in designing differentiated instruction for challenge as well as extra support for students.
- 3rd & 4th Grade Math Enrichment offers Math Enrichment sessions for grades 3 & 4. The purpose of this class is to provide opportunities for the children to develop a series of problem-solving strategies and a knowledge of Math skills that extend beyond the content of the grade level curriculum. Students are recommended by their homeroom teacher according to their proficiency in the subject area. They meet once a week for a 30 minute session in a small group atmosphere (no more than 6 students). Our activities include whole group, partner and individual work.
- Next Generation Technology is offered at all grade levels. Equipped with SMART Boards in all classrooms, 2 updated computer labs and mobile 2- IPad and Chrome Book carts for daily classroom integration students use both Apple and PC platforms.
- Outstanding Before and After School Programs. CYO athletic opportunities include volleyball, basketball, football, baseball and Soccer. We also provide chess, scouts, choir, drama, band, book club: before school; high school placement test prep, Project TEAM and before/after school daycare programs.