October 23, 2017
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
- Thursday, October 26 – 8th grade Confirmation meeting for parents and students, 7:00pm-8:30pm, Church, or Thursday, November 9 (must attend one but not both)
- Thursday, October 26 – Mom’s Movie Morning
- Thursday, October 26 – Hugo PINK OUT, make a donation of $2 (or more!) to ADD pink to your uniform in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month
- October 26 – November 6 – Power School shut down
- Friday, October 27 – End of first quarter, NO SCHOOL
- Tuesday, October 31 – no afternoon bus service
- Sunday, November 5 – computer recycling, 8:30am-12:00pm, St. Hugo maintenance garage
- Monday, November 6 computer recycling, 3:00pm-5:30pm, St. Hugo maintenance garage
- November 7-9 – Scholastic Book Fair, Library
- November 8-9 – Conferences, sign up information to follow
- Friday, November 10 – No School
ON WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 18 our 7th graders helped with the Right to Life Crosses.
CONGRATULATIONS TO Robert Silaghi! Robert was last week’s TRACK winner. Robert was nominated by Mrs. Slifka for being friendly and courteous in the classroom. Keep up the good work, Robert!
MANY THANKS TO our Trunk or Treat Committee Chairs, Mrs. Suzanne Tosto and Mrs. Sarah Jankowski, and their team on a wonderful family event! Much fun was had by all! And thank you to everyone who came out to Trunk or Treat this past weekend. We had the best year yet with an estimate of 900 – 1,000 people in attendance. The weather could not have been more perfect as well as all the costumes and cars that went all-out for the perfect Halloween family celebration. Thank you to our sponsors (see flyer) and the wonderful committee who put this together: Lorry Schwegman, Arlene Curioca, Nicole Orow, Nazek Gappy, Tracey Jacob, Rebecca Rudnick, Melissa Williams, Michele Mojares, Stacy Madany, Elisa Palizzi, Yasmine Najor, Katie Milewicz, Chrisina Ayar, Janet Rivard, Lauren Oriani, Kelly Thalmann, Shavon Manni, Raquel Orow, Barb Bojan, Sonia Vittiglio, Karla Mekani, Amanda Alvelo-Malina, Heather Koziarz, Kristen Mikel. A special thank you to the Jacob Family who donated all the hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and water as well as working the food station for the evening. All proceeds went directly to St. Hugo which contributed to this year’s tremendous success. Another thank you to the Koziarz Family who very generously donated back their 50/50 raffle winnings. A final thanks to all the Jr. High students and parents, especially Debbie Burg, Nikki New and Patsy Hogan who volunteered to assist the games, raffle, parking lot, set up and/or clean up!! Please see the flyer of all the winners of the car decorating and costume contests. Congratulations to all the winners!
COMPUTER AND ELECTRONIC RECYCLING will take place Sunday, November 5 from 8:00am – 12:00pm, and Monday, November 6 from 3:00pm – 5:30pm. Please drop off your computers, printers, and other electronic equipment for recycling in the boxes stationed inside the St. Hugo maintenance garage located between the Ladies of Charity and the carport, behind the church. CRT monitors and TV’s are not accepted due to the mercury gas in them. Wooden speakers are also not accepted. Thanks for helping to make us a “green school”!
BEGINNING THURSDAY, OCTOBER 26 tutoring will be offered by Catholic high school students and our own 7th and 8th grade students. Tutoring will cost a nominal fee of $10 per session and will be held every Thursday that school is in session from 3:30pm – 4:30pm in A1. If your 7th or 8th grade student would like to help tutor or if your student would like to register to come to the tutoring sessions, please contact Mrs. Bartoli, firstname.lastname@example.org. Tutoring is open to grades 2-8. We hope to see you!
THE SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR is coming soon! A wide variety of books of all reading levels from pre-school through adult will be available. The book fair will run November 7-9. More information to come including a SignUp Genius for volunteer opportunities.
SAVE THE DATE! The St. Hugo annual auction will return to Orchard Lake Country Club on Saturday, March 3, 2018. This is one of our favorite events which brings friends together to support our school. More details will follow but be sure to mark your calendars and schedule your sitters!
JOIN THE BAD MOMS! The Bad Moms moving screening is officially SOLD OUT! However, due to popular demand, we are opening a larger theater to accommodate more of you on this fun morning out. There are only 10 seats left, so send in your reservation form today!
PLEASE CONSIDER HELPING! We are not asking that you support all of these causes but please consider helping in any way you can:
- Halloween is just around the corner and this year St. Hugo is partnering with The Children’s Center in Detroit to help underprivileged kids have a fun, safe, and spooktacular Trunk or Treat of their own. There will be a box in the lobby to accept your candy donations through October 25. Our own Mrs. Carolin and her son Jonathan, who volunteers at this organization, will be attending their event. If you would like more information about The Children’s Center, please visit their website at thechildrenscenter.com.
- Claire Fanning (St. Hugo ’15, Marian ’19) is accepting donations to put together memory-enhancing kits for Alzheimer patients. Please consider donating: simple word searches with large print, large print crossword puzzles, matching card games, decks of cards, balls with different textures, Hacky Sacks, small stuffed animals, thick writing utensils, large piece jigsaw puzzles. A collection box has been placed in the lobby. Donations will be accepted through October 31. All items should be new.
- Halloween is just around the corner! This year, St. Hugo is partnering with The Children’s Center in Detroit to help underprivileged kids have a fun, safe, and spooktacular Trunk or Treat party of their own. We will be collecting candy from now through October 25. If you would like to donate bags of candy, there is a collection box in the lobby. Our own Mrs. Carolin will be at The Children’s Center event with her son Jonathan who works as a social worker for this wonderful organization. They will make sure your donations are put to good use! If you would like more information about The Children’s Center, please visit their website, thechildrenscenter.com.
THE 2018 BISHOP FOLEY-KofC Catholic Schools Winter Chess Tournament is accepting registration for their tournament on Saturday, January 20, 2018 at Divine Child Catholic High School. Registration is $20 per player. The event is open to chess players in grades 1-8. You can get more information about the tournament by emailing Mr. Dominic Raona, email@example.com.
THE HEALTHY FOOD COMMITTEE is looking for volunteers! If you have knowledge or passion for healthier food alternatives for our school, please join us! Contact Tressa Joseph, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Mishel Abdou, email@example.com, for more information on how to get involved.