Parent Bulletin | November 9,2015
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
- Monday, November 9 – Dinner Fundraising at California Pizza Kitchen
- November 9 – 13 – Scholastic Book Fair – St. Hugo Library
- November 9–13 – Halloween costume drive
- November 9-17 – Lighthouse food drive – see details below
- Thursday, November 12 – Evening Conferences
- Thursday, November 12 – Non-uniform day for magazine drive participants
- Friday, November 13 – Conferences for all grades; no classes
- Friday, November 13 – Deadline to register for St. Hugo intramural basketball
- Friday, November 13 – St. Hugo’s Red Wings Night
- Saturday, November 14 – St. Hugo’s Mom to Mom Sale – 8:30am-12:30pm
- Tuesday, November 24 – All-school mass
- November 25–27 – Happy Thanksgiving!
- December 1-8 – Ladies of Charity Christmas Basket drive – see details below
- Wednesday, December 15 – Christmas Pageant, 1:30pm/Band Concert, 7:00pm
CONGRATULATIONS to the October Students of the Month: Elena Olah – Jr. Kindergarten, Elizabeth Torok – Kindergarten, Mason Kretschmer – 1st grade, Sarah Jasper – 2nd grade, Lecari Simpson – 3rd grade, Molly O’Brien – 4th grade, Blake Bluthardt – 5th grade, Sophia Sudzina – 6th grade, Gillian Donoghue – 7th grade, William Nichols – 8th grade. And congratulations to the Fine Arts Students of the Month: Vittoria Berrino and Lilah Chow – Art, Alanna Dietz and Tess Mervenne – Band.
REMEMBER, today California Pizza Kitchen will donate 20% of your check to our school. Use the attached flyer at the CPK in Somerset Mall. Thanks to Andrea Mychalowych for organizing!
A VERY THOUGHTFUL K1 STUDENT had an idea; why don’t I donate my Halloween costume that probably won’t fit me next year? We are proud to announce that the Kindergarteners, in conjunction with Girls on the Run, will be collecting clean, gently used Halloween costumes beginning Monday, November 9 – Friday, November 13. If possible, please fold your clean costumes and place in a one-gallon Ziploc bag. Please label the bag with size, description of costume, and if it is a boy or girl costume. The costumes collected will be donated to local area schools. Thank you for your support!
PROJECT TEAM will be collecting gently used books and sending them to our sister school, Holy Redeemer. As you purchase new books at St. Hugo’s book fair perhaps you can remove one or two from your book shelf to donate. The children at Holy Redeemer love to receive books! Project Team will collect books through Tuesday, November 24. Thank you for your generosity!
MANY THANKS . . .
- To Smith Casper who organized the 7th & 8th grade football players, dads, moms, and friends to rake leaves and do a fall clean-up at the Carolin home this past weekend. The St. Hugo community coming together is one of the things we do best!
- To everyone that supported the magazine drive; we raised approximately $5,000! Keep in mind that you can order magazines year round on the school’s website and your student will get credit for the sale for next year’s drive. A big thank you to Kati Becker, Gina Rook, Allison Mayette, Laurie MacMichael, and Jennifer Olah. The non-uniform day for participants will be Thursday, November 12.
PLEASE REMEMBER to bring $1 (or more!) to mass this week which will go towards books for our sister school, Holy Redeemer. Scholastic Books will be matching every dollar donated. Thank you!
CLAY CLASS has a few more openings. The Christmas clay class runs Wednesday, November 11 and Wednesday, November 18. Students will wait in their grade’s bus room and then will be dismissed to the art room. Student pick up is at 5:00pm from the art room. Please send a check made payable to Anna Bitzinger in the amount of $45. Open to grades 1-8. Kinders may participate if accompanied by an older sibling.
MOM2MOM SALE is looking for volunteers to help set up on Friday, November 13 at 3:00pm and then again on Saturday, November 14 at 1:30pm to restore. Helpful teens looking for service hours are needed on Saturday, November 14 from 8:00am-1:00pm. Contact Jodi Carroll, email@example.com for more information.
MOM2MOM BAKE SALE is in need of individually wrapped baked goods or lunchbox snacks. Please drop off your donation to the Father Esper Room by Friday, November 13. Make sure your family name is on your donation to receive a non-uniform day. No time to bake? Send $5 in an envelope marked “Mom2Mom” along with your family name to receive the non-uniform day. Money donated will be used to purchase items to sell at the bake sale. Money should be turned in to the front office by Thursday morning.
DONATE TO THE MOM2MOM SALE! Clean out those toy bins and closets. There will be a “St. Hugo” table at the sale. If you are not selling, we are happy to sell your donated items. All money raised will go to the school! Please drop off items on Friday, November 15 from 3:00pm-7:00pm in the gym. If you have any large ticket items (bikes, cribs, strollers, etc.) we would be happy to put them in the sale for a $5 charge per item if it sells. Large ticket items can be dropped off Friday night. Be sure to mark those items with your name, phone number and price. Thank you for your support!
- HUGO OF THE HILLS PARISH ANNUAL CHRISTMAS CARD DESIGN contest is now open to all students K-8. Drawings should be submitted on an 8 ½ x 11 sheet of white paper. On the reverse side of your drawing be sure to include your name and grade. Drawings must be submitted no later than Tuesday, November 17. Remember that we are celebrating the birth of Jesus and your designs should reflect the true religious nature of Christmas. Good luck!
THANKSGIVING FOOD DRIVE for Lighthouse will begin this week and run through November 17 and 9:00am. Lighthouse will help needy families in Oakland County. Please, non-perishable and no glass containers. If you would rather make a cash donation to purchase turkeys, please send your donation in an envelope marked “Lighthouse”. Checks should be made payable to “Lighthouse”. If each child brings in one item, we can help many, many people. Thank you! Lighthouse is always in need of peanut butter, tuna, and macaroni and cheese so feel free to add or substitute these items to the suggested list below:
Kindergarten: Canned pumpkin pie filling or canned sweet potatoes
Grade 1: Canned fruit, including cranberry sauce
Grade 2: Stuffing or biscuit mix
Grade 3: Canned vegetables, including sweet potatoes
Grade 4: Rice or boxed potatoes
Grade 5: Canned soup
Grade 6: Coffee, tea, canned or dried milk
Grade 7: Cake mixes, frosting, pie crusts or pie crust mix
Grade 8: Jell-O, pudding or pie filling
In addition, we could use 4-5 parents with vans or SUVs to deliver the food to All Saints Church on Pike
Street in Pontiac on Tuesday, November 17at 9:30am. If you can help, please send a note to the office. Thank you for helping the less fortunate enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner!
LOOKING FOR A WAY TO KICK OFF THE CHRISTMAS SEASON? Consider attending Christmas Rocks II performed by the CMI Michigan/Ohio Concert Choir on Sunday, November 22 at 2:30pm at the Performing Arts Center in Clinton Township. Our very own playground supervisor, Mr. Carl Winowiecki and his wife are members of the choir! Tickets are buy 2 – get 2 free. For more information visit cmichoir.org or call 1-800-993-7464.
LADIES OF CHARITY CHRISTMAS BASKET DRIVE will begin Tuesday, December 1 and run through Tuesday, December 8. The Ladies of Charity will be preparing Christmas baskets for over 200 needy families. St. Hugo students and their families have always been supportive and generous. Once again we are asking you to help by bringing in new, unwrapped books, toys, games, teen items, and sports items. Please do not send in items until the week of December 1 as there is limited space in the classrooms!
K- Grade 2: cars, trucks, blocks, craft kits, dolls, small train sets, etc.
Grades 3-5: building toys, Legos, Lincoln logs, craft kits, building sets, etc.
Grade 6: new books and board games
Grades 7-8: new, unused teen items such as make=up kits, sports items, hand-held games, jewelry, purses, etc.
NOTE: At the all-school Thanksgiving mass on Tuesday, November 24 we will take up a collection for the Ladies of Charity to help with their Thanksgiving and Christmas projects. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and generosity!