MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
* Monday, January 23 – Report cards available on Power School after 4:00pm
* Thursday, January 26 – Kindergarten Information Night, 7:00pm
* Thursday, January 26 – Little Caesar Pizza Kit order pickup, 12:00pm – 4:00pm
* Friday, January 27 – Science Exchange
* Friday, January 27 – No PM bus service
* Sunday, January 29 – IHM Boy Scout Pancake Breakfast, 8:00am-12:00pm, Church
* January 30 – February 3 – Catholic Schools Week (see attached calendar of events)
* Sunday, February 5 – St. Hugo Scout Mass, 10:00am
* Friday, February 10 – Deadline to order March lunches
* Saturday, February 11 – Celebration of Confirmation, 11:00am
CONGRATULATIONS TO Adrianna Roye! Adrianna was last week’s T.R.A.C.K. winner. Adrianna was observed by Miss Rigterink in the classroom for being helpful to a student.
THANK YOU to all of the parent volunteers – Patrick Mayette, Yasmine Najor, Ann Lazar, Rachel Smidt, Colleen O’Brien, Meghan Zidar, John Zidar, Pam Fatur, Cindy Hermann, Heather Koziarz, Beth Nunning, Janeen Fahkouri, Andrea Mychalowych, Janet Rivard, Sarah Jankowski, Michael Jankowski, Jen Morgan, John Morgan, Jacquie Bluethmann, Sienna Dietz, Elisa Palizzi, Julie Torok, Molly DeFrancesco, Martha Carter, Erin Marsh, Mike Marsh, Nikki New, Jennifer VanNorwick, Carolynn Krause, and Shavon Manni), and student volunteers – Izabel Kruse, Peter Burg, Angeli Fandino, Elijah Venos, Gabi Saba, Timmy Nelson, Izabel Toma, Kathryn Torok Elena Schwegman, Marylin Kowalewski, Olivia Tosto, Christian Sharkas, Paul Silaghi, Eliana Delusky, Caroline Krause, Ella Quaine, Cate Zidar, Jack Nelson, Kate Binkley, Ashley Dixon, Joey Farrar, Brendan Marsh, Kennedy Marsh, Lily Rivard, and Luke Mychalowych – that made our Open House a huge success! A special thanks to PTG for their hospitality, our maintenance crew, and our faculty and staff for making our school shine brightly! It was a wonderful Open House due to all those that volunteered.
FEBRUARY 1 is the big pizza lunch for all students during Catholic Schools Week. If you are interested in helping make this day a great success, please click on the link below to sign-up as a volunteer during the lunch period. Many thanks for your support! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e4eaaaf2ba1fa7-catholic
ST. HUGO IS STARTING a monthly book club! Students in grades 4-6 who love to read are invited to join Mrs. Braet in the library on Fridays after school until 4:30pm. February’s book will be The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau. Book club will be $60 for a 3 week session (February 3, 10 and 24). Weekly snacks, materials, and a purchased copy of the book for each student to keep will be included with the fee. If interested, please contact Mrs. Braet, firstname.lastname@example.org, or send a check made payable to Katrina Braet in the amount of $60. The book club is limited to 12 students each month.
HELP WANTED in our after school Latchkey program beginning February 27 for a few weeks. Mrs. Gulvezan’s assistant, Nikki, will be out and we need a helper. If interested, please contact the office.
SAVE THE DATES! The second annual Sweetheart Dance, hosted by the PTG, will be on Friday, February 24 from 6:30pm-8:30pm. The PTG will also be hosting a Mother/Son event on March 10 from 6:30pm-8:30pm. Stay tuned for more information!
TUESDAY, JANUARY 24 begins after school Chess Club. Pick up time is 4:40pm. Please pick up your chess scholar by parking in the back parking lot and walk along the sidewalk along Opdyke Road. Please wait in the art room and students will be dismissed from there. Thank you!
* Book club will be meeting on January 26 at 10:00am at the Bloomfield Township Library. The book club is reading Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dwek. This event is free but pre-registration is required as space is very limited.
* BBFA presents What’s With the Boys? On February 9 at 10:00am. Led by Ted Braude, learn how to guide your quiet, withdrawn son through the challenges of social media, risk taking and making good choices, following directions, and much more. This is also a free event and pre-registration is not required. The program will be held at the Booth/Doyle Center.
* SENSEational Story Time at the Bloomfield Township Library: 1099 Lone Pine Road, Bloomfield Township, MI 48302 (248) 642-5800 www.btpl.org. This sensory story time is geared to differently-able children ages 3 – 10 years who have a hard time in large groups, are on the autism spectrum, or have developmental delays and/or sensitivity to sensory overload. Visuals, rhythmic preschool-level stories, and sensory activities will be included in this interactive story time. Siblings are welcome! Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 2:30p.m. Registration begins January 14, 2017.
* Special Needs Workshops – Supporting Students with Dyslexia presented by Pete Pullen, Head of School at ETON Academy. Learn what dyslexia is. Experience what it may feel like to have dyslexia and how to partner successfully with your student’s school and teacher. Pete will also discuss strategies to help support your student at home with reading and comprehension challenges at school. Bloomfield Township Library: 1099 Lone Pine Road, Bloomfield Township, MI 48302 (248) 642-5800 www.btpl.org. Monday, February 6, 2017 at 7:00pm. Registration begins January 16, 2017
KEEP COLLECTING THOSE Clorox wipes containers! The Scouts need about 250 more – so they are half way there! There will be another luminary display on Holy Thursday. Send your empty containers to Max Petrosky, D8. Troop 1037 thanks you!
ON FEBRUARY 25, 25 of St. Hugo’s 7th and 8th grade students will travel to Michigan State University to participate in the Model United Nations Conference (MUN). It is an all-day conference and there will be over 300 students in attendance. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers as they prepare for their competition.
AUCTION NEWS! Look for the All-In for St. Hugo newsletter that will be emailed this week from email@example.com. It will include all of the details about the Auction and Casino Night including ticket purchases, and sponsorship opportunities as well as highlight the fantastic items, experiences and social scene parties.
Open House – I believe the future of St. Hugo of the Hills School is very bright as we met 54 very kind new families this past Sunday at Open House. Thank you to: Ms. Fleischer, Mrs. Kowalewski, Mrs. Mick, Mrs. Carter, Mrs. Fatur, Mr. and Mrs. Jankowski, Mrs. Discenna, Mrs. Mayette, Mr. Morgan and Mrs. Tosto who spearheaded our marketing efforts. They did an amazing job! I received many comments about how impressed families were by our 8th grade students that gave tours. Thank you also to Kathryn Torok and Trevor Tosto as they each spoke after the 10:00 and noon Masses on Sunday. The entire St. Hugo Community really shined for this Open House!
Congrats – Great job to the 2nd grade students who celebrated their First Reconciliation this past Saturday! I saw a lot of joyful students and families after their confessions.
CYO – Nice job to Varsity Girls’ Viking basketball team this past Sunday at remaining perfect on the season with a narrow four point win over St. Lawrence this past Saturday. Elena Schwegman, Izabel Kruse, Eliana Delusky, Angeli Fandino, Ella Quaine, Cate Zidar, Izabel Toma, Jackie DesMarais and Lily Klein were all cool under pressure to hold off a late rally.
VIKINGS BOX SCORES: (weekend of January 21, 2017)
6th grade boys #1 v St. Lawrence W 36-28 8th grade boys #2 v St. Lawrence L 30-42
6th grade boys #2 v St. Lawrence L 14-16 8th grade girls #2 v Our Lady of Refuge L 30-42
8th grade girls #1 v St. Lawrence W 26-20 6th grade girls #1 v St. Lawrence L 6-34
8th grade boys #1 v St. Lawrence L 34-47 6th grade girls #2 v St. Lawrence W 27-14