MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
* January 31-February 5 – Catholic Schools Week
* Friday, February 5 – First annual PTG Sweetheart Dance, 6:30pm-8:30pm
* Sunday, February 7 – Annual Scout Mass, 8:00am
* Friday, February 12 – Students may wear their official Catholic Schools Week t-shirt with jeans or sweatpants
* Friday, February 12 – Deadline to order March lunches
* Friday, February 12 – Please submit your 2016-2017 registration
* Saturday, February 27 – 2016 Auction The Sky’s the Limit, Shenandoah Country Club
MANY THANKS TO:
* The PTG, student and family volunteers, and our faculty and staff who warmly showcased our fantastic school yesterday at our prospective family Open House. We received many wonderful comments and were very pleased with the turn out.
* To our generous Science Exchange 2016 sponsors! Ronia Kruse and OpTech, the Marsh Family, the McGrath Family and the Seneker Family. Family ($50) and Corporate ($100) sponsorships are welcome and appreciated! There is still time to register for the 2016 Science Exchange at www.sthugoscience.com and your payment can be sent to the front office.
* A heARTful thank you to the following parents who helped hang artwork for Open House: Melissa Williams, Sarah Jankowski, Bridgid Jackson, Laura Discenna, Erica Thurman, Gina Rook, Meghan Zidar, Tracey Jacob, Eliza Palizzi, Teresa Farnell, Carolyn Love, Julie Torok, Carolynn Krause, Sharon Atty, Erica Thurman, Allison Mayette, Andrea Brzustewicz, Tegan Higgins, and Kristin Ruschak for their help with mounting and hanging artwork for Open House. Your donation of time and talent is truly appreciated. Thank you for supporting the arts at St. Hugo!
* 8th grader, Hayden Scott, who participated in the National History Bee and is advancing to the Detroit Regional Finals on Monday, April 11. Good luck, Hayden!
* Art Award recipients: Grade 4: 1st place – Ryan Wells, 2nd place – Lily Mojares, 3rd place – Meghan Chaiyasate, Honorable Mention – Samuel Karrick, Jazelle Yaldo and Rachel Royer. Grade 5: 1st place – Catherine Carter, 2nd place – Claire Ruschak, 3rd place – Anise Kruse, Honorable Mention – Mia Mojares, Sean Jasper, John Torok and Sean Chaiyasate. Grade 6: 1st place – Maria VanDieren and Caroline Wells, 2nd place – Gianclaudio Bortolotti and Jenna Okka, 3rd place – Lauren St. Andre and Ellie Alberts, Honorable Mention – Ethan Swider, Maria VanDieren, Lauren St. Andre, Joey Messano, Caroline Wells, Anya Keena, Xavier Chow and Ethan Swider. Grade 7 & 8: 1st place – Melania Vale and Tessy Klein, 2nd place – Christian Sharkas and Ella Quaine, 3rd place – Tessy Klein and Melania Vale, Honorable Mention – Paul Silaghi, Regan O’Brien, Izabel Toma and Caroline Krause.
CURRENT FAMILY REGISTRATION IS UNDERWAY for the 2016-2017 school year. Please return your family registration form and your non-refundable deposit of $300 by Friday, February 12. Remember, a $100 tuition credit is available if you refer a new family to St. Hugo and they enroll!
BBFA is presenting: “Ferocious Love: Mothering Teenage Boys into Manhood” by Ted Braude on February 9, 10:00am at 7275 Wing Lake Road, Bloomfield Hills. The program is free and open to the public. There is no need to pre-register.
FOR SAFETY SAKE please refrain from parking in handicapped parking spots without the appropriate license plate/tag.
MARIAN-RICE PLAYERS presents Disney’s Beauty and the Beast March 17-20. Tickets are available online at www.marian-hs.org. All seats are reserved. Call 248-644-1750, ext. 1315 with questions.
EARN TUITION CREDIT by buying gift cards! The next St. Hugo Scrip order is due Monday, February 8, 10:00am. Your order will be available for pick up in the front office on Friday afternoon, February 12. Order online at www.shopwithscrip.com . Check out a limited time special rebate at Landrys, California Pizza Kitchen, and LL Bean!! Please contact Beth Nunning for more information or sign up details (firstname.lastname@example.org).
SPRING 2016 S.N.A.P FLAG FOOTBALL LEAGUE registration for grades PreK-4 is open. For more information on dates and times go to SNAPtivities.com. To register to go bloomfieldrec.org or call 248-433-0885. Registration deadline is April 17.
CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK CALENDAR OF EVENTS:
Monday, February 1 – Viking Pride – We celebrate all of the things that make our school “Blue Ribbon”. Essay and art contest winning entries will be displayed throughout the school. Students who attended one of the weekend Masses at their local parish in their St. Hugo uniform will be allowed to wear jeans and a St. Hugo logoed shirt. All-school afternoon assembly featuring Band, Glee and the 4th-8th grade Talent Show.
Tuesday, February 2 – It Must Be Different With Us – We appreciate the strong foundation Catholic education affords us. All Students may add crazy hats, ties, socks, and/or slippers or may wear crazy hair (no hair dye). Valentine’s Day Candy Sale for Holy Redeemer – candy sale will be sold during lunch for $1.
Wednesday, February 3 – Catholic School Pride – Today, we celebrate all Catholic Schools and honor our Sisters through the IHM Retirement Fund. All parents and friends of St. Hugo are invited to attend a special all-school Mass at 8:30am. Students wear regular uniform. A collection for IHM Retirement Fund will be taken at Mass. Valentine’s Day Candy Sale for Holy Redeemer continues at lunch. Special treat today – ice cream cups at lunch.
Thursday, February 4 – Celebrating our Catholic School. Pizza will be served at lunch today along with a drink and fruit snacks. Last day of Valentine’s Day Candy Sale for Holy Redeemer during lunch. Students wear regular uniform today.
Friday, February 5 – Excellence from Top to Bottom. At St. Hugo, we emphasize excellence in every facet of student life. In that spirit, all students will participate in the Volunteer Vikings Day of Service and celebrate the end of Catholic Schools Week as follows:
* 7th/8th graders will be traveling off-site for their role in Volunteer Vikings Day of Service.
* JK-8th will be donating items to support the 7th and 8th grade school-wide service project.
* JK-2nd – Pajama Day – students may wear pajamas today but remember they will be going out for recess so don’t forget snow pants and boots!
* 3rd-8th – Jeans Day – students may wear jeans with any team apparel including sports teams, colleges or high schools.
* JK-6th – Movie Afternoon. Each grade will watch a movie and have a special snack.
The Mission of St. Hugo of the Hills School is to provide students with an educational experience in which the teachings of the Catholic faith are instilled, nurtured, and demonstrated. These teachings constitute an integral part of the school’s academic program and the St. Hugo community. Strengthened by the values inherent in these teachings, students and staff are challenge to live with the conviction that,
as followers of Jesus, it must be different with us.