Parent Bulletin | August 28, 2017
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
· Monday, August 28 – Thursday, August 31 – ½ day for all day kinders and 1st grade with an 11:30am dismissal, grades 2-8 dismissal is as follows: 3:00pm for carpool and walkers, 3:10pm for bus students
· Wednesday, August 30 – Meet the Faculty grades 6–8; 7:00pm (8th grade will meet at 6:30 in Mrs. Slifka’s classroom for Washington DC trip)
· Friday, September 1 – Monday, September 4 – no school, Labor Day Weekend
· Tuesday, September 5 – bus service begins
· September 5 – 8 – Kindergarten Readiness begins class in the Fr. Esper Room; 8:30am-11:30am
· Wednesday, September 6 – Meet the Faculty Night grades PreK-5, 7:00pm
· Tuesday, September 12 – Picture day
· Wednesday, September 13 – Winter Sports Registration due
· Thursday, September 14 – Safety Day
· Friday, September 22 – Alana’s Foundation Flu Vaccination Clinic; 2:30pm-4:30pm
· Saturday, September 23 – Fun Run
To returning St. Hugo families, WELCOME BACK! To new families we wish you a warm St. Hugo welcome!
THANK YOU TO:
· Mrs. Yasmine Najor, Mrs. Ann Lazar, Mrs. Gina Thomas, Mrs. Zaina Elia, Mrs. Julie Torok, Mrs. Heather Koziarz, Mrs. Brzustewicz, Mrs. Seneker and Mrs. Erica Thurman for coordinating the Kindergarten Ice Cream Social this past week. Much fun was had by all as the kindergarteners gathered to make new friends.
· The head room parent committee: Mrs. Yasmine Najor, Mrs. Julie Torok, Mrs. Koziarz, and Mrs. Thurman for coordinating buddy’s for new families and for hosting the New Family Pizza Dinner. The dinner was delicious and was a nice welcome to our new St. Hugo families. A big shout out to all of the buddy families: Van Norwick, David Cuiorca family, Derek Curioca family, Jesena, Seneker, Ayar, Fandino, Farris Gumma family, Morgan, Sabagh, Regan, DeVaronna, Nykerk, Dietz, Nittis, Fatur, Williams, Kazar, Ramos, Milewicz, Elia, Samona, and Hermann.
· Mrs. Denipoti and Mrs. Schwegman for providing delicious breakfasts for teachers before their morning professional development meetings.
· Mrs. Ferrara and her group for providing CPR training for all faculty and staff. St. Hugo is now a “Heart Safe” school!
· Mrs. O’Brien and her volunteers for selling school supplies and promoting PTG events at Orientation; Mrs. Mojares, Mrs. Zidar, Mrs. Royer, Mrs. Lazar, Mrs. Hogan, Mrs. Ervin, Mrs. Najor, Mrs. New, Mrs. Mayette, Jack
and Meredith Hermann, and Molly O’Brien. A special thanks to the Auction, Fun Run, and Trunk or Treat committees.
· Mrs. Zidar and Dr. Hogan for presenting the FARE program to faculty. This helped inform the staff on the dangers of food allergies.
SAFETY REMINDER! To keep our students lining up at the main entrance on Hickory Grove Road, only students arriving to school after 8:30am should be using the Hickory Grove Road entrance. All arrivals between 8:10am-8:30am should be through the Fr. Esper Room door in the back – students should then report to the office for a tardy slip before going to their classroom.
ST HUGO ANNUAL IRUN4KIDS FUN RUN will be held on Saturday, September 23 from 9:00am-11:00am on the St. Hugo campus. It is a wonderful day of community, friendship, and fun so encourage all your friends to sign up. Besides a run/walk around the beautiful St. Hugo campus we also have tattoo artists, face painting, football toss, DJ Teddy Bear, and a raffle with loads of awesome prizes!
ALL STUDENTS need a St. Hugo gym uniform (t-shirt and shorts) with first and last name on it in permanent marker, white or black socks, and non-marking (white sole) gym shoes.
TO BE A SCHOOL VOLUNTEER you MUST have completed Protecting God’s Children. Go to aod.org for a listing of classes offered. You do not need to take the workshop at St. Hugo.
IF YOU PLAN ON volunteering to do lice checks or volunteer in the health room to be excused from morning parking lot duty, you MUST have your volunteer form submitted by September 15. Thank you!
WANTED! We are looking for somebody to assist Mrs. Tedesco in the cafeteria. This is a part-time, paid position. If you are interested, please contact Mr. Vincler. Additionally, we are looking for somebody to assist Mrs. Winowiecki with afternoon Latchkey. Interested persons should contact Mr. Vincler – this would be great for a student looking for part time work!
We began last week with all of the new staff member orientation: Mrs. Sue Matthews – 6th grade English/Reading, Mrs. Julie Reed – 5th grade English/Reading, Miss Molly MacKenzie – 3rd grade, Mrs. Denise Carlson – 3rd grade, Mrs. Kathy Kindt – Resource. They are all excellent additions to the staff and will live the St. Hugo motto “As Followers of Jesus It Must Be Different with Us.”
Teacher In-Service – On Tuesday, August 8 the majority of the faculty was in Detroit at our annual AOD in-service day. The teachers found this day to be very valuable. One of the seminars that I saw was done by a current U of D Jesuit teacher, author and he is also a former St. Hugo student – Alex Davidson! Both this past Monday and Thursday the entire faculty was in-serviced in Restorative Practices by Bill Boyle. I saw several staff members already using some of the practices in school on the first day. Restorative practices is a community approach to discipline and student learning. Students are often put into circles with the teacher to solve problems. The entire faculty felt positive about implementing this practice into their classrooms in some manner. On Tuesday of last week, Kimberly Yanke in-serviced the teachers about Kids Empowerment. This was practice to empower students to stick up for themselves when needed. Teachers will be using the teachings that they learned in their classes this year. Mrs. Mick met with teachers to be sure that all teachers have a technology avenue to post homework this year. All teachers will inform parents at Meet the Faculty Night on how homework assignments will be posted this year.
Building Updates – We have extremely generous families at St. Hugo. Your generosity goes directly back into the school. Here are some of the updates that you can look for as you examine our campus this year:
· All new high efficiency lighting was installed throughout the entire St. Hugo campus.
· A new boiler was installed. We now have all new univents in the classrooms and two new boilers to power our school.
· The Fr. Esper Room was completely updated for the new Kindergarten Readiness program. A new awning will be appearing very soon as you enter the Fr. Esper Room doors.
I am very grateful for these updates and we look forward to many more in the future!