December 11, 2017
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
- Wednesday, December 13 – Yearbook picture day for clubs (Boy Scouts, Brownies, Girl Scouts), altar servers, Quiz Bowl participants, etc. Scouts may wear their uniform/sash. No retakes!
- Wednesday, December 13 – deadline to register for the 2018 Science Exchange
- Thursday, December 14 – Candy Cane Sale will be open until supplies run out during lunch – $1 each. Proceeds go to Catholic Schools Week student enrichment.
- December 14 – 8th-grade parent and student Confirmation meeting, 7:00pm-8: 30 pm, Church (if you did not attend on December 7)
- Thursday, December 14 – Hugo Bands and Vocal Vikings concert at Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 4:00 pm
- Friday, December 15 – deadline to order January lunches
- Friday, December 15 – payment for Science Exchange due
- Wednesday, December 20 – Annual Christmas Pageant, 1:00 pm parent performance, Gym (Kindergarten Readiness – 2nd grade, St. Hugo Bands and Vocal Vikings)
- Wednesday, December 20 – St. Hugo Bands and Vocal Vikings Annual Christmas Concert, 7:00 pm, Gym
- Thursday, December 21 – Deadline for Geography Bee registrations
- Thursday, December 21 – Junior High Christmas Dance, 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm, Cafeteria, see below for more information
- Friday, December 22 – No school, Christmas break begins
CONGRATULATIONS TO Emily Fanning! Emily was last week’s TRACK winner. She was nominated by Mrs. Slifka for being friendly/courteous in the classroom. Keep up the good work Emily!
THANK YOU TO Mrs. Nykerk, Mrs. Mojares, Mrs. Connolly, Mrs. Monahan and their elves for providing a fun Santa Shoppe experience for our students: Mrs. Abarca, Mrs. Lazar, Mrs. Arlene Curioca, Mr. & Mrs. Tocco, Mrs. Ciarlone, Mrs. Bojan, Mrs. Schwegman, Mrs. Marougy, Mrs. Wybo, Mrs. Joseph, Mrs. Samona, Mrs. Hakim, Mrs. Jacob, Mrs. Kattola, Mrs. Amanda Abro, Mrs. O’Brien, Mrs. Najor, Mrs. Denipoti, Mrs. Carroll, Mrs. Karen Abro, Mrs. Ibrahim, Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Higgins, and Mrs. Mayette.
WINTER WEATHER POLICY St. Hugo’s winter weather policy is as follows: all students should wear their boots to and from school (their shoes are carried in their backpack), students in grades PreK – 5 should also be wearing snow pants if they will be playing on the field. Students will go outside for recess unless the wind chill and/or temperature is zero or below. Students should be wearing hats and gloves as well. Girls in grades PreK – 5 may add navy blue leggings available from Dennis Uniform. Girls in grades 6 – 8 may add a navy sweat pant for to-and-from school and recess (they may not be worn during the school day).
ANY CURRENT family hoping to enroll their student in our Four-Year-Old Kindergarten Readiness program or our kindergarten program for the 2018-2019 school year should contact Mrs. Ryan if you haven’t already done so. We are expecting both of these programs to fill up after our January Open House.
THE HICKORY GROVE ROAD ENTRANCE should only be used to drop students off after 8:30 am and to pick-up sick students or students with an early dismissal. All volunteers (including lunch duty) should park in back and then report to the front office to sign-in and get a visitor/lunch duty badge. THANK YOU!
THIS YEAR’S JUNIOR HIGH CHRISTMAS DANCE is Thursday, December 21 from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm in the cafeteria. Tickets will be sold to Junior High students during the week of December 11-15. Tickets will be $2 each and if you purchase a ticket you will be allowed to have a non-uniform day on the day of the dance. The theme for the non-uniform day is Christmas sweaters or red and green clothing.
SCRIPS PHYSICAL GIFT CARDS are back in time for the holidays! Order your Scrip cards by 10:00 am, December 12 and pick them up in the office Friday, December 15. Order online at www.shopwithscrip.com. If paying by check, make your check payable to St. Hugo PTG and send to the office in an envelope marked “SCRIP” no later than Wednesday, December 15. Remember, 60% of the rebate price is credited towards your tuition, and 40% goes to St. Hugo. Last year, St. Hugo families saved over $2,000 on their tuition! We have stopped doing monthly physical Scrip card orders due to the high shipping costs and low orders. We will probably have one or two more physical orders before the end of the school year. With Prestopay and ScripNow, you can get e-cards in minutes delivered to your email address and your Scrip wallet.
ATTENTION SOCCER PLAYERS! If you are looking for some winter training, consider the Saturday soccer camps at Cranbrook. For more information, go to www.schools.cranbrook.edu/page/camps–public-programs/sports-camps/winter-camps.
THE GEOGRAPHY BEE will be held on Wednesday, January 10 from 3:45 pm-5: 00 pm. Sign up forms will be due on Thursday, December 21.
HUGO SCIENCE EXCHANGE registration is open! Click the following link to begin registration: https://sites.google.com/a/sthugoschool.org/science-exchange/home/documents
HELP US WITH OUR EVERGREEN STATUS! We collect batteries, eyeglasses, cell phones, and Christmas lights! Send them to A4. Thank you for your help!
JANUARY BOOK CLUB! Any students in grades 4-6 who love to read are invited to join Mrs. Braet in the library on Fridays after school until 4:30 pm. January’s book will be The Gauntlet by Karuna Riazi. Book Club will be $60 for a three-week session (January 12, 19, and 26). Weekly snacks, materials, and a purchased copy of the book for each student to keep will be included in the three-week session. If interested, please contact Mrs. Braet, firstname.lastname@example.org, or send a check made payable to Katrina Braet in the amount of $60. There will be a limit of 12 students for each month’s Book Club.
THE ART ROOM IS graciously accepting egg cartons!
CLAY CLASSES FOR THE NEW YEAR! Is your child interested in working more with clay? Sign them up for a clay class with Miss Bitzinger! It is open to students in grades 1-8. Kinders may attend if an older sibling has also signed up. They are two-day sessions from 3:40 pm – 4:45 pm. The cost is $45. Upcoming dates: Thursday, January 11 and Monday, January 18. Monday, February 26 and March 5. Thursday, April 12 and April 19. Students will practice hand building techniques with clay as they sculpt their project. On the second day, your child will glaze the piece. If interested, please contact Miss Bitzinger, email@example.com, with your child’s name, a parent’s name, and the best contact number. Students will be registered upon payment of check made payable to Anna Bitzinger. Students are encouraged to bring a snack to have before class begins. Parents will pick up their child from the art room door outside in the lower courtyard. A confirmation email will be sent with more information prior to the workshop.
- HUGO’S 22ND ANNUAL AUCTION, “A Night with the Stars” is on Saturday, March 3, 2018. The auction is our largest fundraiser of the year and proceeds directly benefit our children. Money raised this year will be used to provide new desks and chairs for all classrooms, as well as physical improvements to our school facilities. Please consider supporting our event by donating an item to this year’s auction. Nothing is too big or too small, and everything makes a difference. You would be surprised what an impact one donation can make! We are especially in need of sporting event tickets, signed sports memorabilia, vacation destinations, spa gift cards, golf packages, jewelry, and restaurant gift cards. All donations are greatly appreciated and will go a long way in support of our school. Feel free to drop off your donations at the office or contact Shelly Roye, 248-431-8200, to arrange for pick up.
- HOLIDAY SHOPPING? Shopping for the holidays? Please consider picking up a special something for the Hugo Auction. All donations are welcome and greatly appreciated!
- HUGO AUCTION WINE WALL is accepting donations! Please drop off your wine donation in the front office marked “Auction” – include your name, address and phone number for donation purposes. We are looking for $15-$25 per bottle value for this project. Contact Carolyn Still-Love, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Kelly Thalmann, email@example.com, if you have larger quantities that you would like to meet at pick up for. Thank you for your participation and generosity! Our goal is 150 bottles.
WE ARE VERY EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE that St. Hugo is part of the AmazonSmile program! Shop and earn .5% on all eligible Amazon purchases. This money will go right back to our school! It’s super easy! Here is how it works:
- The first step is to click on the link below to set St. Hugo of the Hills Catholic as your charitable organization:
- Go to amazon.com (NOT Amazon.com) every time you want to shop! You will notice that the AmazonSmile home page will look exactly the same as your Amazon home page AND that your login/password, account information, Prime membership, shopping cart status, etc. is the exact same and will automatically pop up. The items and prices are the same, the prime shipping benefits are the same. It’s a seamless transition! The only difference is the website you are shopping on.
This is a super easy way to earn money for our school! Please share the link with family members, friends, neighbors, etc. and St. Hugo will earn .5 % on all of their purchases. Please contact Colleen O’Brien, firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.