February 12, 2018
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
• Tuesday, February 13 – $1 non-uniform day, proceeds benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (details below)
• Wednesday, February 14 – Ash Wednesday, 9:00 am Mass, bring $1 (or more) for offertory
• Thursday, February 15 – deadline to register for 2018-2019 school year at reduced fee
• Thursday, February 15 – deadline to order March lunches
• Thursday, February 15 – mid-quarter
• Thursday, February 22 – Grade 2 students and parents. Eucharist Meeting, 7:00pm-8: 30 pm, Church (if unable to attend, please attend on March 1)
• Friday, February 23 – deadline to submit Box Tops
• Friday, February 23 – non-uniform day if you purchased your Auction ticket or sponsorship(s) by February 9
PARKING LOT DUTY: Monday – Fatur, Filby, Fonville Tuesday – Fortino, Gappy, Geisz Wednesday – Geiselman, P. Gorcyca, Hajjar Thursday – Hanna, Hannan, Harris If you are unable to fulfill your obligation, please trade with another family. Thank you!
• Our January Students of the Month: Kindergarten Readiness – William Milewicz, Kindergarten – Giada Oriani, 1st grade – Elizabeth Brikho, 2nd grade – Angelo Manni, 3rd grade – Caroline Quaine, 4th grade – Aidan Schwartz, 5th grade – Charlie Joseph, 6th grade – Rafaella Saba, 7th grade – Luke Nelson, 8th grade – Sean MacLean, Art – Freddie Abdou and Hannah Koziarz, Band – Vittoria Berrino, Jack Higgins
• The following students who participated in the “Student Art Town” exhibit held this past Saturday at the Birmingham Community House: Leah Krzeszewski, Lindsey Schwegman, Ada Kowalewski, Ryan Wells, Elle Ervin, and Meghan Ferrara. Meghan Ferrara won first place in the Middle School Division! Great job, everyone!
THANK YOU TO:
• Our Catholic Schools Week volunteers who made Pizza Day a fun party at lunch for the entire school! We really appreciate the enthusiasm and time from our wonderful volunteers. Special thanks to Gina Thomas, Erica Thurman and Heather Koziarz for tallying orders as well as serving along with Ann Lazar, Melissa Williams, Megan Kindt, Andrea Brzustewicz, Rachel Smidt, Carrie Jesena, Sandy Orow, Amanda Abro, Rita Kattola, Janet Rivard, Jennifer VanNorwick, Laura Sabah, Carolyn Love, Suzanna Cerroni, Tracey Jacob, Veronica Steffanina, Susan Devanney, Kati Becker, Rosalia Jasper, Regina VanDieren, and Mrs. Tedesco.
• 6th grader Jacob Dallo for his auction donation! While we appreciate all of the family donations, ticket purchases, ads, and support, we are extremely grateful for Jacob’s thoughtfulness and generosity which, once again demonstrates one of the many wonderful things that make the St. Hugo community special.
THE NEXT CLAY CLASS will be Monday, February 26 and March 5 from 3:30 pm – 4:45 pm. Please send a check made payable to Anna Bitzinger in the amount of $45. Open to grades 1-8, kinders may attend if an older sibling is also signed up.
HELP WANTED! Ms. Bitzinger is in need of volunteers to hang artwork for our annual Fine Arts Open House in March. Please click on the following link to sign up. Many hands will make light work. Thanks in advance! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e4da5ac2ba0fb6-2018.
THE AUCTION COMMITTEE is looking for 150 wine corks and 5 empty wood wine crate box/cases for the Wine Wall. If you have any to donate, please send to the office this week to the attention of Carolyn Love. You can also contact Mrs. Love directly, 313-318-2640, email@example.com.
LEUKEMIA AND LYMPHOMA SOCIETY NON-UNIFORM DAY St. Hugo alums Kylie Scott and Gabrielle Grace are co-candidates in the Students of the Year program for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Over a seven-week period, the girls are organizing campaigns to raise money for LLS. Gabrielle’s younger brother, Charlie, is an acute myeloid leukemia survivor and the Kylie and Gabrielle’s campaign, Team Charlie’s Angels, is in Charlie’s honor. Please consider supporting our alums and this worthy cause by enjoying a non-uniform day on Tuesday, February 13 – $1/student.
CANDY CANE SALES ARE BACK! Monday and Tuesday, February 12 and 13 candy cane sales will be sold for $1 each outside of Mrs. Bartoli’s office during lunchtime. Please let your student buy a candy cane for their sweetheart … or their sweet tooth, next week!
IT’S TIME FOR OUR NEXT BOX TOP drive so remember to keep clipping and sending them in over the next few weeks. The deadline to submit is February 23 so there is a lot of time to show your support in this easy and fun way! Our last Box Top drive raised $1,115 and was used to purchase needed supplies for our classrooms. Our next drive will be used to start a much-needed library renovation. So let’s all support Mrs. Braet and help her improve the library for our children. Box Tops really do add up! Here is a list of what your Box Tops have already given our school this year: 48 pairs of scissors for latchkey and the library, 9 hole punches, a 3-hole punch, a tape dispenser, a Spanish-English dictionary, 72 privacy desk partitions, 16 pack of Expo dry erase markers, set of public speaking DVD’s for junior high, 12 packs of washable crayons, 30 glue sticks, 6 packs of Crayola washable markers, 5 student dictionaries, 15 scrapbooking hole punches, and 24 Popplet apps for our school Ipads. It is amazing the impact you can make just by clipping some Box Tops!
IN LIEU OF A SCHOOL-WIDE SURVEY this year, we are asking that you complete an Archdiocese of Detroit survey. Please click the following link: https://madonna.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6nGI0k8rRq32J1j&Q_JFE=0