Recommended Reading & Links
Love and Logic: https://www.loveandlogic.com
ADHD information: http://www.drhallowell.com/add-adhd/
Counselor’s Corner Blog
What Happens in the School Counselor’s Office?
During my time at St. Hugo, I have heard kids say some pretty funny things! Once I had a young girl in my office to take her IOWA exams. After she had completed the English portion of the exam, she removed her glasses to start the math questions. I asked her, “Why aren’t you wearing your new glasses?” She rolled her eyes at me and proclaimed, “My glasses are for reading, not math!”
The point is, you never know what is going to happen in the School Counselor’s Office! However, in general, I often:
- Meet individually with students to do brief, solution-focused counseling.
- Work with small groups.
- Help students who are struggling with personal issues to make positive behavior choices despite extenuating circumstances.
- Collaborate with parents/guardians, teachers, support staff and administration to help students meet their maximum potential.
- Maintain confidentiality of students and their families.
- Provide education and information about students’ social-emotional needs.
- Work with all students to encourage a safe school climate of trust and respect.
- Organize outside activities such as “Girls on the Run” and “Project TEAM”.
Mrs. Ann Bartoli