December 4, 2017
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
- December 5, 6, 7 – Santa Shoppe, Library, by schedule
- Wednesday, December 6 – deadline to donate toys to the Ladies of Charity Christmas toy drive
- Thursday, December 7 – non-uniform day for families that registered to attend Jingle & Mingle by November 28
- Friday, December 8 – Feast of the Immaculate Conception, all-school Mass, 9:00 am
- December 7 OR 14 – 8th-grade parent and student Confirmation meeting, 7:00 pm-8:30 pm, Church
- Sunday, December 10 – last day to shop at Five Below to support the Jr. High Washington, DC trip
- Wednesday, December 13 – Yearbook picture day for clubs (Boy Scouts, Brownies, Girl Scouts), altar servers, Quiz Bowl participants, etc. Scouts may wear their uniform/sash. No retakes!
- Wednesday, December 13 – deadline to register for the 2018 Science Exchange
- Thursday, December 14 – Candy Cane Sale will be open until supplies run out during lunch – $1 each. Proceeds go to Catholic Schools Week student enrichment.
- Thursday, December 14 – Jazz Band and Vocal Vikings concert at Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 4:00 pm
- Friday, December 15 – deadline to order January lunches
- Friday, December 15 – payment for Science Exchange due
- Wednesday, December 20 – Annual Christmas Pageant, 1:30 pm parent performance, Gym (Kindergarten Readiness – 2nd grade, Band, and Vocal Vikings)
- Wednesday, December 20 – Band and Vocal Vikings Annual Christmas Concert, 7:00 pm, Gym
- Friday, December 22 – No school, Christmas break begins
- Isaac Jacob! Isaac was last week’s TRACK winner. Isaac was observed by Mrs. Nagel in the classroom for displaying friendly and courteous behavior. Keep up the good work Isaac!
- Karenna Klein! Karenna placed first and second in three different vocal divisions at the annual MAC Open Fall Classic Competition on November 4 & 5!
- HUGO SCIENCE EXCHANGE registration is now open! Click the following link to begin registration: https://sites.google.com/a/sthugoschool.org/science-exchange/home/documents
THE GEOGRAPHY BEE will be held on Wednesday, January 10 from 3:45 pm-5:00 pm. Sign up forms will be due on Thursday, December 21.
LADIES OF CHARITY CHRISTMAS BASKET DRIVE will begin today and run through Wednesday, December 6. The Ladies of Charity will be preparing Christmas baskets for over 200 needy families. St. Hugo students and their families have always been supportive and generous. Once again we are asking you to help by bringing in new, unwrapped books, toys, games, teen items, and sports items.
Kindergarten Readiness – Grade 2: cars, trucks, blocks, craft kits, dolls, small trains sets, etc.
Grades 3-5: building toys, Legos, Lincoln logs, craft kits, building sets, etc.
Grade 6: new books and board games
Grades 7-8: new, unused teen items such as make-up kits, sports items, handheld games, jewelry, purses, etc.
HELP US WITH OUR EVERGREEN STATUS! We collect batteries, eyeglasses, cell phones, and Christmas lights! Send them to A4. Thank you for your help!
DETROIT LACROSSE CLUB WINTER TRAINING Registration is now open! Deadline to sign up is December 10 and the academy is expected to fill up quickly as space is limited. These academies are designed to work each week on a specific theme and will elevate each player’s knowledge of the entire girl’s game. The coaches will be using the latest drills taught to reinforce a higher level of stick skills and field knowledge. Players will work together in groups based on their age and individual strengths so that each player is challenged. 10-week program on Wednesdays from 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm for girls in 7th and 8th grade. To register, go to www.thedetroitlacrosseclub.com/register. Questions should be directed to email@example.com or 248-941-1550.
JANUARY BOOK CLUB! Any students in grades 4-6 who love to read are invited to join Mrs. Braet in the library on Fridays after school until 4:30 pm. January’s book will be The Gauntlet by Karuna Riazi. Book Club will be $60 for a three-week session (January 12, 19, and 26). Weekly snacks, materials, and a purchased copy of the book for each student to keep will be included in the three-week session. If interested, please contact Mrs. Braet, firstname.lastname@example.org, or send a check made payable to Katrina Braet in the amount of $60. There will be a limit of 12 students for each month’s Book Club.
THE ART ROOM IS graciously accepting egg cartons!
CLAY CLASSES FOR THE NEW YEAR! Is your child interested in working more with clay? Sign them up for a clay class with Miss Bitzinger! It is open to students in grades 1-8. Kinders may attend if an older sibling has also signed up. They are two-day sessions from 3:40 pm – 4:45 pm. The cost is $45. Upcoming dates: Thursday, January 11 and Monday, January 18. Monday, February 26 and March 5. Thursday, April 12 and April 19. Students will practice hand building techniques with clay as they sculpt their project. On the second day, your child will glaze the piece. If interested, please contact Miss Bitzinger, email@example.com, with your child’s name, a parent’s name, and the best contact number. Students will be registered upon payment of check made payable to Anna Bitzinger. Students are encouraged to bring a snack to have before class begins. Parents will pick up their child from the art room door outside in the lower courtyard. A confirmation email will be sent with more information prior to the workshop.
- HOLIDAY SHOPPING? Shopping for the holidays? Please consider picking up a special something for the Hugo Auction. All donations are welcome and greatly appreciated!
- HUGO AUCTION WINE WALL is accepting donations! Please drop off your wine donation in the front office marked “Auction” – include your name, address and phone number for donation purposes. We are looking for $15-$25 per bottle value for this project. Contact Carolyn Still-Love, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Kelly Thalmann, email@example.com, if you have larger quantities that you would like to meet at pick up for. Thank you for your participation and generosity! Our goal is 150 bottles.
WE ARE VERY EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE that St. Hugo is part of the AmazonSmile program! Shop and earn .5% on all eligible Amazon purchases. This money will go right back to our school! It’s super easy! Here is how it works:
- The first step is to click on the link below to set St. Hugo of the Hills Catholic as your charitable organization:
- Go to amazon.com (NOT Amazon.com) every time you want to shop! You will notice that the AmazonSmile home page will look exactly the same as your Amazon home page AND that your login/password, account information, Prime membership, shopping cart status, etc. is the exact same and will automatically pop up. The items and prices are the same, the prime shipping benefits are the same. It’s a seamless transition! The only difference is the website you are shopping on.
This is a super easy way to earn money for our school! Please share the link with family members, friends, neighbors, etc. and St. Hugo will earn .5 % on all of their purchases. Please contact Colleen O’Brien, firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
HELP WANTED! Dr. Richard McDermott is looking for part-time help (2-4 hours a week, 12 hours a month), doing Quick Books for his office located in Clawson. If interested, please contact Dr. McDermott, 248-613-7804, email@example.com.
IF YOU CAN:
- Please consider helping Sr. Margaret and Sr. Mary Ellen with meals as Sr. Margaret continues on her road to recovery! Margaret is doing very well but meals would keep her off of her feet and resting. Go to: www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0449aaa823a3fb6-meals.
- Carolin, who is now caring for her husband, John, could use help with meals. Please go to www.carecalendar.org, the ID number is 254819 and the password is 6741. Questions can be directed to Mrs. Carolynn Krause, firstname.lastname@example.org.