November 21, 2017
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
· Tuesday, November 21 – No afternoon bus service
· November 22 – 24 – No school, Happy Thanksgiving!
· Monday, November 27 – registration for the 2018 Science Fair opens, details to follow
· Thursday, November 30 – Jingle & Mingle, 7:00pm, Pine Lake Country Club – get your ticket today! See flyer for more detail.
· Friday, December 1 – mid-quarter
· December 7 OR 14 – 8th grade parent and student Confirmation meeting, 7:00pm-8:30pm, Church
· Thursday, December 14 – Jazz Band and Vocal Vikings concert at Woodward Hills Nursing Center, 4:00pm
· Friday, December 15 – deadline to order January lunches
· Wednesday, December 20 – Annual Christmas Pageant, 1:30pm parent performance, Gym (Kindergarten Readiness – 2nd grade, Band and Vocal Vikings)
· Wednesday, December 20 – Band and Vocal Vikings Annual Christmas Concert, 7:00pm, Gym
THE 8TH GRADE STUDENTS IN RELIGION CLASS met with their 2nd grade Sacrament Buddies for the first time this year. 8th graders planned all of the activities. They made a “snowball” ice-breaker activity, decorated cookies, shared stories of St. Dominic’s love for the Eucharist, and ended with a closing song.
· Maddie Najor! Maddie was last week’s TRACK winner. She was observed by Mrs. Kender for being helpful in the classroom. Keep up the good work, Maddie!
· The following fourth and fifth grade art students whose drawings were chosen out of nearly 600 submissions to be featured in Oakland County’s 2018 Clean Water Calendar. Special Acknowledgements: Jason Gumma, Keira Maher, Addison Smidt, Jamie Thomas, and Caroline Torok. Honorable Mentions: Siena Jankowski, and Ada Kowalewski. And finally, we have two monthly winners: Owen Zidar, and Abby Chaiyasate. The monthly winners are invited to attend an award ceremony at the Cranbrook Institute of Science. Every grade four and five student, as well as teachers and staff, will receive a complimentary calendar. Fantastic job, everyone!
· The St. Hugo 1st grade flag football team on a fabulous season!
· Mr. Dooley and the 6th grade Quiz Bowl team on a 5th place finish in their region!
DECEMBER BOOK CLUB Any students in grades 4-6 who love to read are invited to join Mrs. Braet in the library on Fridays after school until 4:30pm. December’s book will the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl. We will be watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory as well to compare the book and movie. Book club will be $60 for a 3 week session (December 1, 8, & 15). Weekly snacks, materials, and a purchased copy of the book for each student to keep will be included. If interested, please contact Mrs. Braet, email@example.com, or send a check made payable to Katrina Braet in the amount of $60. There will be a limit of 12 students for each month’s book club.
DETROIT LACROSSE CLUB WINTER TRAINING Registration is now open! Deadline to sign up is December 10 and the academy is expected to fill up quickly as space is limited. These academies are designed to work each week on a specific theme and will elevate each player’s knowledge of the entire girl’s game. The coaches will be using the latest drills taught to reinforce a higher level of stick skills and field knowledge. Players will work together in groups based on their age and individual strengths so that each player is challenged. 10 week program on Wednesdays from 5:00pm – 6:30pm for girls in 7th and 8th grade. To register, go to www.thedetroitlacrosseclub.com/register. Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 248-941-1550.
LADIES JINGLE & MINGLE – Join us as we support A Night with the Stars Auction with a Ladies Jingle & Mingle on November 30 at Pine Lake Country Club. Tickets are going fast so please send in your form soon!
HOLIDAY SHOPPING? As you prepare for Thanksgiving dinner or shop the Black Friday deals, please consider picking up a special something for the St. Hugo Auction. All donations are welcome and greatly appreciated!
ST. HUGO AUCTION WINE WALL is accepting donations! Please drop off you wine donation in the front office marked “Auction” – include your name, address and phone number for donation purposes. We are looking for $15-$25 per bottle value for this project. Contact Carolyn Still-Love, email@example.com, or Kelly Thalmann, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have larger quantities that you would like to meet at pick up for. Thank you for your participation and generosity! Our goal is 150 bottles.
OUR VERY OWN 8TH GRADER, Ella Harris is one of the main characters in the Community Theater’s presentation of Elf the musical, Jr. For ticket information go to www.stagecrafters.org/on-stage/youth-theatre/16-elf-jr.html.
· We give thanks to the 83 families who made generous contributions to the Teacher Wish Lists during this year’s Scholastic Book Fair. In doing so, not only were 15 books added to the school library, but 151 of the books on the teachers’ wish lists went to classrooms throughout the building! Also, many families contributed to the All for Books program which provided books to Holy Redeemer School and to several other deserving charitable organizations. R. Abro, S. Abro, Adamski, Balcer, Becker, Bluthardt, Bojan, Brikho, Bruck, Bujoll, Burg, Carroll, Ciarlone, Clark, D. Curioca, D. Curioca, Dallo, DelPup, Denipoti, deVarona, Dietz, Discenna, Giglio, F. Gumma, J. Gumma, Hakim, Hannan, Herstein, Ibrahim, Improta, Jacob, Jankowski, Kalil, Kattola, Klauer, L. Klein, Koziarz, Kozole, Kretschmer, Lazar, Love, MacMichael, Madany, Marini, Marougy, Marsh, McKay, Mekani, Menker, Mervenne, Monroe, Monteiro, Najor, Namy, Oriani, Pratt, Qarana, M. Ramos, Rivera, Rodriguez, Rook, Roye, Ruccolo, Saba, Sabagh, Schwartz, Schwegman, Seifert, Slifka, Smidt, Steffanina, Thurman, Torok, Tuliao, Tuohy, Turkot, VanNorwick, Vaupel, Vittiglio, Wenzel, Williams, Zaleski, Zidar.
· The St. Hugo faculty and staff would like to thank Mrs. Denipoti and Mrs. Priebe for organizing a delicious soup luncheon last week along with the following donors: Smith, Dietz, Tuohy, Palizzi, Cerroni, Denha, Schwegman, Steffanina, Najor, Zidar, Ibrahim, S. Orow, Jacob, Jazrawi, Ruccolo, Sabagh, Triculescu, Rook, J. Gumma, Gibson, Vittiglio, L. Gorcyca, Qarana, Gheen, Koziarz, M. Ramos, Thomas, deVarona, Brikho, Filby, Murphy, Lievan, and Connolly.
· From the Ladies of Charity: Many, many thanks to the GENEROUS STUDENTS from St. Hugo of the Hills School! Thank you for your collection and donation of Halloween candy AND to the 8th graders for bagging this candy into hundreds of baggies! You made Thanksgiving Dinner to those in need a little bit sweeter! The Ladies of Charity Clothes Closet & Food Pantry is very grateful for your ongoing commitment and generosity toward helping those less fortunate. THANK YOU ALL!
ST. HUGO…ARE YOU READY TO ROCK YOUR RIDE? Jeff Wayne and family are proud to bring CycleBar, Premier Indoor Cycling, to our hometown of Bloomfield Hills! Come join us for the most intoxicating fitness experience of your life in our state-of-the-art CycleTheater booming with IMAX quality sound and video. Classes are led by our inspiring and high-energy CycleStar instructors. We help you measure your success such as calories burned, distance, class ranking, and much more. To kick off the celebration, we are giving away 5,000 complimentary rides. Our upcoming Grand Opening events include: 100 private group or public rides, complimentary water bottles and purified water, fresh towels, digital lockers, fresh fruit, aromatherapy, big discounts for future rides. From November 13th – December 3rd: Complimentary GROUP rides for up to 47 riders per class. This is an opportunity for you to champion a healthy and energizing event for your co-workers, team members, friends, and employees. To request a GROUP ride, email Katie.Connor@CycleBarBloomfieldHills.com. Complimentary INDIVIDUAL rides will also be offered for you, your friends, and family who want to experience what all the buzz is about. To join us for the fun, go to www:bloomfield hills cyclebar.com, your name and email address will be added to our invite list for our upcoming Grand Opening rides beginning next week. We will also be donating ride packages to the St. Hugo Auction, so keep your eyes open for those.
THE HEALTHY FOOD COMMITTEE is looking for volunteers! If you have knowledge or passion for healthier food alternatives for our school, please join us! Contact Tressa Joseph, email@example.com, or Mishel Abdou, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information on how to get involved.
WE ARE VERY EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE that St. Hugo is part of the AmazonSmile program! Shop and earn .5% on all eligible Amazon purchases. This money will go right back to our school! It’s super easy! Here is how it works:
1. The first step is to click on the link below to set St. Hugo of the Hills Catholic as your charitable organization: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/38-1410477
2. Go to smile.amazon.com (NOT Amazon.com) every time you want to shop! You will notice that the AmazonSmile home page will look exactly the same as your Amazon home page AND that your login/password, account information, Prime membership, shopping cart status, etc. is the exact same and will automatically pop up. The items and prices are the same, the prime shipping benefits are the same. It’s a seamless transition! The only difference is the website you are shopping on.
This is a super easy way to earn money for our school! Please share the link with family members, friends, neighbors, etc. and St. Hugo will earn .5 % on all of their purchases. Please contact Colleen O’Brien, email@example.com with questions.